Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Everything's Coming Up Mistie!

On Thursday I participated in an event that made my hands shake like leaves in a very high wind. I read at a literary reading. I read my own work. And I didn't vomit. It was kind of a big day for me. It made me want to get back on here and write. It made me want to stay off here and write. It made me want to eat chocolate cake and write.

It was incredible. People, and not just my sister and friends, came up to me and told me how much they enjoyed my selections. A girl, with tears in her eyes, told me how listening to me read about my mother had reminded her of all the wonderful things her mother has done for her. My art touched people! For an artist, I don't think there can be anything better than that...well maybe getting paid to do it.

On Friday, I had a job interview. Today, I received a call--they like me. They want to hire me. After seven months looking, I finally found a job! Crazy thing though. The woman who will be my boss called at 3:30 to ask if I could come in tomorrow to fill out new hire paperwork and go through an orientation/training session. I found a babysitter last minute for tomorrow, but they want me to start on Monday or Tuesday of next week. So now I have to figure out childcare full time for the kid, and it would be best if I could have that done by Friday. This week just got even more crazy. Looking into childcare reminds me how much childcare costs, but even the steep cost of childcare can't ruin my parade....what's that rain? I love rain!

I'm going to be working as a copywriter for a marketing and software company. It's not the type of writing I would pick if I were dreaming, but someone wants to pay me to write. It's kind of the dream of any English major to work in a field at all resembling the one they spent a ridiculous amount of time (and probably money) studying.

So here's to making dreams, progress, and money (at least a little bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment