Monday, June 3, 2013

Exercising....Cause Running Is Hard

My running posts have disappeared, and there is a reason for it. Okay, there are a couple of reasons for it, and none of them are particularly good, but here they are:

1) As a family, we have been really busy. My partner has been out of town a lot, which means I haven't had a lot of time to go out by myself.

2) I hit a wall. Learning to run a mile has taken more time than I, or the internet, thought it should. Turns out, I run a lot faster than most people, and this has led to my speed increasing in short spurts, but not my endurance or distance.

3) My shoes hurt my feet.

For the last two weeks, we have been taking family walks instead. So far this has developed into a great routine. My daughter reminds Ryan and me if we slack off. She has ridden her bike all on her own for about a hundred yards. The dog acts happier and more relaxed. And I am actually running farther than ever. Running with a kid on a scooter forces me to slow down, but it also forces me to go farther because the kid isn't ready to stop after a quarter mile (my limit for running on my own). The kid wants to keep going and going and going and going. It even seems to have helped Ryan who is wanting to lengthen his own runs, but becomes bored after a 5k or so. Ryan runs on his own and joins us on our slower walk/runs. Also, my frugality has run headlong into Ryan's rationality; it doesn't matter if my shoes are worn out yet or not, I can't wear shoes that hurt my feet. It's counter-productive. So I have new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment